When I started getting into Flex several years ago, the first real application I created was an online grading system for a small K-12 school that I was consulting with as a side gig. That was around 2005, and after several years of use, the school has outgrown this initial design. Since they are no longer using it, I decided it would be ok to publish a demo.
It was fairly rough around the edges, but since it was my first attempt I think it turned out pretty good. It has several features including:
- Flex Data Services / Live Cycle Data Services integration, providing real time updates to users.
- Instance messaging functionality so users could get notifications in real-time. This also allowed me to monitor which users were logged in and using the system.
- A library of comments which could be saved and then reused by the teachers to speed up the time it took to create reports.
- A report-creation wizard to generate blank reports in bulk so the teachers would not have click ‘new’ for each student in the class.
- PDF report generation (using the iText framework) combined with an iFrame overlay to make the resulting PDF files look like they are actually in the Flex application.
There are two parts to the application. The Teacher Portal is where teachers create courses, enroll students and add grade and progress reports. (I used the Flex Store demo as my inspiration for the animations.). The Administrator Portal is where administrators could review the submitted reports and print out PDF files.
For this demo, I’ve taken out all the private info and used a bunch of stock photos of kids with made-up information. (These are NOT real students and the information is completely fabricated for demonstration purposes)
So take a look and let me know what you think. They are large so it takes a few seconds to download. Yes there are bugs and issues, but this was my first attempt from about 7 years ago so give me a break
UPDATE: Since I’ve moved to a new server, I have not setup the java server side portion of the demo so I’ve had to disable them. Sorry